COVID-19 Policies & Procedures
The following COVID-19 protocols are in effect at RisingOaks Early Learning:
- If you have a single secondary symptom (i.e., sore throat or difficulty swallowing, runny or stuffy/congested nose, headache, extreme tiredness, muscle aches or joint pain, nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea,) isolate until symptoms are improving for 24 hours (48 hours if gastro-intestinal symptoms). Siblings and other household members are not required to isolate.
- If you have 1 primary (i.e., fever, cough, loss of smell/taste, shortness of breath) or 2 secondary symptoms, isolate for 5 day if fully vaccinated (or under age 12) - or for 10 days if over 12 years of age and not fully vaccinated. Household members who are 12-17 years and fully vaccinated (2 doses) and adults who are boosted (3 doses) do not need to isolate, but should wear a mask in public places (including school/child care) for 10 days from last exposure.
- You are strongly encouraged, though not required, to take a test if you have symptoms of COVID-19.
- If you have symptoms that require an isolation period, a negative result on a PCR test or 2 rapid antigen tests may allow you to complete your isolation earlier.
- Testing is a key mitigation factor to reduce transmission to other children and staff within our program. Remember though, you may test negative for several days on a rapid antigen test before you test positive as the viral load builds. As a result, it is recommended to test more than once.
- If you are positive on a rapid antigen test you are infectious - isolate to help reduce the spread.
Per the guidance of the Chief Medical Officer of Health, RisingOaks promotes vaccination as a key public health measure to protect each other, the children we serve and the community at large. As a result, RisingOaks continues to have a mandatory vaccination policy in place for staff, placement students and volunteers, including a requirement for booster doses.
For anyone seeking to receive a first, second or booster dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, please visit www.regionofwaterloo.ca/GetaVaccine
COVID-19 Absence Credit
Updated July 1, 2022
Almost all other child care centres discontinued their COVID-19 child absence credits back in January 2022. At that time, based on the availability of a Pandemic Recovery reserve fund, the board at RisingOaks Early Learning agreed to extend this interim support for families.
As cases of COVID-19 slow and we get back to pre-pandemic activities and practices, we now must transition back to usual policies which require payment for all scheduled days.
To assist with this transition, the board has agreed to extend the availability of COVID-19 child absence credits until December 23, 2022 under the following terms and conditions:
- As of July 1, 2022, available credits may only be applied to scheduled days when your child is absent because they are required to isolate due to their own or a household member's positive COVID-19 test result (confirmed by rapid antigen test or PCR test).
- If your child is absent due to COVID-19 or other symptoms but has not tested positive nor has a household member, you will be responsible for child care fees for those scheduled days.
COVID-19 credits are limited as follows:
- up to 20 credits per child for infant, toddler preschool (10 credits for school-age) between January 1 and December 23.
- for those who start in our programs on or after July 1, the # of available credits will be pro-rated to a maximum of 10 credits per child for infant, toddler preschool (5 credits for school-age) between July 1 and December 23.
- Credits are applied automatically (there is not action needed on your part) once you confirm that a child or household member has tested positive. We will also confirm the isolation requirement at that time. That being said, it may take some time for the credits to be processed through our accounting system.
- When fee reductions happen under the Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care Program later this year, fees will not be reduced for any day in which a COVID-19 Child Absence Credit has already been issued.
COVID-19 Child Absence Credits will be discontinued as of December 31, 2022.